Friday, July 2, 2010

Ok, now I'm pissed!

Hi Everyone; Yep, here I sit, pissed off! I'm hoping all who read this will investigate on thier own and tell their friends....shoot, tell your enemies too. I have received 4 calls in the last two months from an organization that depicts itself as standing up for children with leukemia. Now, helping sick kids.....that's a heartstring button if there ever was one. You tell me you need money to help a sick kid I ask where and when. But, something slowed me down on this one. I asked them to send me their information so I could investigate their charity. Oooh, it got quiet. It got real quiet. "We can't do that, sir". Hmm. They told me that because mailing out the information was cost prohibitive I would need to commit a donation. Well, that wasn't going to happen, but I bought their line about the expense and shrugged it off as just not something that was going to work out. Then I got their next call. Well, today I have received my fourth call from them. Now, that is four calls that I have answered. My caller id lists at least 10 others. Since that first call, I have informed the solicitor that I would not donate without better information. Today's call interrupted my sleep and I answered out of habit, barely awake. I angrily told the solicitor that they have yet to send the information yet continue to call asking for money. Do not call me again. Would you believe the jerk hung up on me?! Well, google to the rescue. I asked how to rate a charity and found a site that showed the rating for this charity was 2-of-4 stars. Most of that was for "capacity"....ie: how much could they fleece. They give out less than 1% of the revenue. I can't wait for the next call !!! So, here is my request to you: If you get a call for donations, be generous - but wise. Look up the expenses to dispersals rate. How much of a dollar gets to the child. If it's a scam, I say let them have it with both barrels! What assholes. Aaargh!

4 comments:

Scottie said...

I love you. Thank you for checking up on these guys. Too often it is a scam. Both my mother and grand mother use to get taken because they always gave when they thought there was a need. I wish this was an honest world, I would feel better, but until then, thank you for sharing this and care enough to check.
Hugs,
Scottie

Scottie said...

Oh and I really like the new look. Grand Job.

Hugs,
Scottie

JR said...

Hey Randy, Yep, we have all gotten the calls from charities we have never heard about before. Not once when I have asked for information has any of them ever sent it, or even given me a url to their site. There are so many worthwhile charities and it is a shame that a few dishonest ones can slow the flow of dollars to the people who really need the help. Thanks for calling this problem to our attention. Hugs, JR

randy said...

Hi JR;
It is sad that we have to ask the difficult questions of the charities now. But, the ones who are honest and on the up-and-up have no problem...even to the point of bragging about the percentage of every dollar that gets to the focus. The good ones want you to look them up beause they are proud, and have every right to be. I had a cousin who died of the same disease the so-called charity was "selling" and so it caught me a bit unawares and under the skin. To have them yank out my heart to rob me was too much. I'd rather be mugged honestly.

Thanks for commenting.
-randy.