Tuesday, November 8, 2011

thoughts...

Hi Friends;

  A comment by Miles to my last post began a thought for me....almost always a dangerous thing leading to all sorts of unknown and heretofore best left alone areas.  You know, the proverbial " where angels fear to tread " thing.  Well, rash be damned, I'm confused.  
  To save you some time, in paraphrase, I commented to Miles that we create a great multitude of unnatural consequences from forcing what we would consider "natural" choices on people -- ok, actually I said that anytime a natural attraction is stifled, unnatural things are apt to develop.    And, there is where I get into trouble.  You see, this isn't a very well thought out post, it's an idea that is bugging me to no end.
  On the one hand, we, the "we as a people" we, have a duty and a right to train our young, etc, into an image that fits our outlook of what is right for humanity.  And yet, it is the very oddballs among us that seem to make such incredible leaps of creativity and thought.  Einstein was a very poor student due to his learning disabilities, and Elvis's choir teacher said he couldn't sing...the history of man is filled with such examples.  And yet, we try and try to put our youth and such into these forms that are fit in our eyes.
  Do any of you remember when the powers that be would try to retrain left handed kids to write right handed, because that was the right thing?  And yet, there is a certain segment of the population, a natural and undeniable portion of us as people, who are left handed.  What other traits are natural but the 'powers'  seek to "retrain"?
  Now, as is often the focus of this blog, the comment engendering this thought was about sexuality... specifically the church's role in deciding that certain behaviors of the priests were ok under wraps of secrecy while the outward orientation of homosexuality was decried a sin.  And, as is often the case with comments involving the church and sex, it was with kids that happened.....which made me wonder if the very control seeking behavior of the church decrying homosexuality did encourage pederasty as an unnatural outlet of the proverbial square peg being forced into the round hole?
  And, now we come to my confusion.  You see, I am wondering if this is part of the repeated problems we have now or if the problems we have are just the "anomie" of the times.  Are we fighting natural progressions and creating more and more problems because of that, or are we - again this is all 'we as a people' - failing to guide and develop our young as we should?


So, help me out...what do you think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to explain at the situation here in Germany:
With the onset of late-'60s began, especially the students and intellectuals, the omnipotence of the leaders and churches to call into question. This rebellion against the Establischment was contagious to the entire population. The people questioned laws, decisions (at all levels), moral values ​​on Church and State. Left-oriented governments joind in this game up to the point where the population was tackled heavily against capitalism and the military. Then won the rights - and from then on it went backwards again. Simultaneously, the power of the media grew bigger and more concentrated.
Until then we had the public pay-TV. Now the privat-free television came, which is financed by advertising only. They fight for the attention of their audience by any means. (one-sided reporting, reporting scandal, sex and crime). At the same time they began to manipulate public opinion. (Example: In a murder trial, writes the newspaper "BILD": "Bild-Leser Fordern: Rübe ab!"- "Bild-reader demand death penalty!", but at that time there have been no death penalty more).
What I'm saying? What is today played up in the media, there have always been. Only it was not publicized.
Only the response is bad. All governments have reacted by increasing restrictions. The greatest evil is that the population, other words the electorate tolerates this.
Nikki

Sammy B said...

Hello Randy
I would say that, by definition, no human behaviour can be said to be 'unnatural', because it's the product of, ultimately, the human brain, mediated by the nervous and endocrine systems. That's not to say that any and every behaviour is acceptable, because human society as a whole is a bargain between what the individual would do given a free hand, and what is good for the community as a whole. Where the urges of the individual are suppressed, though, there is the potential for tension, which in turn might manifest itself in destructive (or self-destructive) consequences elsewhere. To use myself as an example, I've spent pretty much all my life, certainly since puberty, suppressing my attraction to boys, and I don't think it's coincidental that I go through periods of near-depression and self-hatred as a result, sometimes 'self-medicating' with amounts of alcohol that are doubtless not 'what the doctor would order'. In my case, any 'damage' is turned inwards, or has been hitherto, but who knows if that will always be the case? One of my greatest fears is hurting someone else through my frustrations boiling over, and I'd be lying if I said I could guarantee that it never would.

Love & best wishes
Sammy B

randy said...

Hi Nikki and Sammy;

I wanted to let you both know that I appreciate your thoughts and observations. I am still struggling with this, so I'm going to let things stew for a bit more.

hugs;
randy.

Scottie said...

Hello Randy. I wonder at the cycles in life, and in our acceptance of things. It seems to me that given lengths of time it swings back and forth. Kind of like a tide.

Also culture plays a big part of what is "normal". An act acceptable in one society would be offensive and abhorrent in another.

And possible how we react to something may change it from normal to abnormal.

Love your deep thoughts Randy.
Hugs, Scottie

randy said...

Hi Scottie...

I am getting a synopsis... we all too often sit in judgement of another and say "he is wrong". Is he hurting someone? I think we as a people find "love" trite, but if we care for eachother....? I don't know. I enjoyed the comments and I hope others chime in. I am learning a bit, seeing things differently. It's easy to have answers when thought isn't required - - just look at the republicans (ha!).Again, please chime in if you have something or more to say.

hugs;
randy.